Yemen: if This is What Winning Looks Like, I’d Hate to See Losing
Trump likes attacking the military service of people who have done much more for their country than he would ever dream of trying to do.
He attacked Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal for telling the truth about what Trump’s own SJC nominee told him in private-that Trump’s attacks on the judiciary are demoralizing.
Now he’s again attacking John McCain-a true war hero. In the past Trump despicably claimed he’s not a hero for being captured.
Now Trump is attacking McCain for speaking the truth about Trump’s disastrous Yemen raid. Like the old African-American saying says ‘Only the truth hurts.’
Of course, while McCain showed extreme courage in surviving as a POW of the North Vietnamese in the early 70s, his political courage of late has been nothing to write home about.
“President Trump lashed out at Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Thursday, saying that the senator’s negative assessment of a deadly raid in Yemen last month “emboldens the enemy!”
“McCain initially referred to the raid as “a failure” but later dialed back his criticism, saying in a statement Tuesday that some objectives were fulfilled in the mission but that he would “not describe any operation that results in the loss of American life as a success.”
“Sen. McCain should not be talking about the success or failure of a mission to the media,” Trump said in a series of tweets Thursday morning. “Only emboldens the enemy! He’s been losing so long he doesn’t know how to win anymore.”
Remember when Trump said we’d win so much we’d get bored of it? If this is winning who wants any part of it?
Of course, McCain spoke the truth initially-this was a disastrous failure. Some objectives may have been accomplished but Yemen will no longer engage in joint military exercises with us. And yet the GOP said Obama was weakening our position in the world.
“It’s safe to say that if Hillary Clinton had ordered the special forces raid in Yemen on January 29th that went so terribly wrong, by now there would be five simultaneous congressional investigations underway, not to mention blanket coverage in the news media. But despite multiple deaths including one American servicemember, Navy SEAL Ryan Owens, White House spokesperson Sean Spicer has insisted that the mission was a smashing success. “The goal of the raid was intelligence gathering,” Spicer said yesterday, “and that’s what we received and that’s what we got. That’s why we can deem it a success.”
By the way, if this happened with Hillary Clinton as President there should have been hearings as they should now with Trump as President.
“Spicer went even further today, asserting that no one should be allowed even to raise questions about the raid. “It’s absolutely a success, and I think anyone that would suggest it’s not a success does a disservice to the life of Chief Ryan Owens,” Spicer said.
“That bit of slander toward critics is sadly familiar from previous GOP administrations (though for some reason it’s not an argument Republicans make when Democrats are the ones making the decisions). In case you haven’t followed this story, in the first week of his presidency, Donald Trump approved a raid on an Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) compound in Yemen, and pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong. The team encountered strong resistance, Owens was killed, an Osprey aircraft was disabled in a “hard landing” and had to be destroyed so it wouldn’t fall into AQAP’s hands, and according to the Yemeni government, 15 civilians, including at least one child, were killed.”
“Then, making things worse, the Pentagon released a training video it had seized as evidence of the high-level intelligence the raid produced. But it turned out that the footage was ten years old and had been distributed on the internet some time ago. According to some reports, the true target of the raid was AQAP leader Qasim al-Rimi, who is now gleefully mockingthe United States.”
“The failure has also compromised our ability to conduct further anti-terrorism missions in Yemen. Today the New York Times reported:
Yemen has withdrawn permission for the United States to run Special Operations ground missions against suspected terrorist groups in the country, according to American officials.
“In response to the publication of that article, the Yemeni foreign minister said that Yemen had not banned future missions but had asked for a “reassessment” of the raid on the 29th. Either way, it would seem that we’ll have a harder time getting Yemen to approve such missions in the future.”
I think we know there’s be hearings everyday of the week for at least the next four years until 2020 election and in that case it would be rightly so.
At least Trump made the call with the seriousness the decision deserved, you know, over dinner with Jared Kushner and Steve Bannon.
P.S. If you enjoy my blog and my support of #TheResistance-I’m also considering a 2018 run against GOP Congressmen Peter King of the NY 2nd district-then please consider a donation.