In New Gravis Marketing Poll, I Lead Peter King NY2, 51-41
I know, you can knock me over with a feather too. Indeed, I’m almost afraid to believe it. But the numbers are what they are.
Recall, in my SurveyUSA poll back in March I was energized for only trailing King by 11 points.
What I appreciate about Gravis is that they are:
1. First of all 40% cheaper than SurveyUSA was.
2. And most important Gravis has promised me a real media release that will go to in the words of the CEO there ‘Thousands of media entities, and Nate Silver is on my list.’
With SurveyUSA it was-‘Ok we did what you wanted us to do. Now we wish you good luck.’
Of course, the whole point is that me as a neophyte to the scene doesn’t have the networking contacts to widely report the results. But this time someone will actually hear about it.
So in two polls-one in March, now this one in June have shown me
1. Down by 11
2. Up by 10.
To be sure, this is what Nate Silver would call a small sample size. And I’ll leave it to folks like him to discuss the quality of these various polls. I know he for his part has said you shouldn’t dismiss Gravis-or any poll that meets certain basic requirements.
I think you can read the surge in my numbers as coming from King’s own dwindling popularity. In this poll, amazingly, even on question 2-when the name ‘Mike Sax’ is just a random name out of the phone book, I only trailed King by 3 points (42-39).
Then by the time we got to 18 where they asked again-after getting respondents acquainted with my policy views-I now had a 10 point lead (51-41).
They seem to prefer my position over King’s on just about every position: On Russia-I call for a Select Committee. King lost points when they learned that he’s voted repeatedly against ordering the IRS to release Trump’s tax returns.
He lost points for not holding town halls. My major policy positions for the poll were:
1. Not abolishing but building on Obamacare by adding the public option. This position was contrasted with King’s vote for Trumpcare. Basically 60% like my position better, 39% like King’s.
2. To head off the Bernie Bros I thought for a lark I’ll add one policy proposal they can’t bash as ‘incremental’-though I’m an incrementalist in general-and called for bringing back the old FDR style WPA. What it amounts to is a job guarantee by the government.
Anyone who wants a job gets one. Yes-I got this idea from the MMTers.
I figured I wanted one position that got me to the Left of Bernie.
Here’s a bonus for the JG: Forbes hates it.
Ok, so big picture, this poll is great news for the effort. What this is about is a Dem House in 2019.
My problem coming in is-I’m a political neophyte. What I need is public exposure. The premise of polls is to put me in the public discourse. If all these media entities receive this poll and this becomes a public discussion, it will also put pressure on the local NY 2 Dems.
I’ve had some meetings with them, including with DuWayne Gregory who was the challenger in 2016-he’s a very nice guy and intelligent tough he did lose by 23 points.
Most of them are nice people, though I did lock horns with one local volunteer-who served in a major campaign-who for some reason got insulting and condescending. It was a very strange and unpleasant encounter which I may talk more about in the future.
Basically there is good news and bad news for my campaign regarding the local Dems.
1. The bad news is that some-as I can tell from my encounter with that condescending volunteer who pretended to be my friend when she needed, then waited till she didn’t to insult me-will play the usual ‘pay your dues’ card.
You know who am I to come in here without going through the proper channels, etc.
2. The good news, is from the best I can tell no one else in the party has thought much at all about who they want to see run. Gregory himself has been having a Bidenesque brooding with himself ‘Should I or shouldn’t I run again?’
So nature abhorring a vacuum maybe in the end the line of least resistance will be-No one is lined up and this guy clearly has a plan. We haven’t beaten King in 25 years. Why not give him a shot? How can he be any worse than those who have gone through proper channels?
Again, the next step in the process is the media release which will happen in the next few days. Beyond that I have some other plans.
I actually came the closet to making the news a few weeks ago on FIOS news. They had my interview in front of the NY Senate GOPers office at the healthcare rally.
But they buried the lede: that I’m a candidate.
This media release should finally put me on the map publicity wise-at least from what Gravis has told me-that this will be sent to thousands of media entities, one of which is Nate Silver.
If all goes according to plan there, my next steps will be:
1. Printing up some campaign cards, flyers, and brochures with this picture on it.
— Puesto Loco (@PuestoLoco) June 10, 2017
2. Put together my first ad. I know, expensive. Maybe it would have to start as an Internet ad targeted in NY 2.
But the ad would be about the Treason Tape. I’ll see if there’s a way to get the WaPo to let me use part of the actual tape they’ve heard.
Then after showing how Paul Ryan and the GOP knew Russia hacked the DNC, etc back in June 2016, this song will play.
The part of ‘Welcome to the Apocalypse’ where they chant ‘Treason…. Treason…’ for about a minute.
I figure if I put that ad out, they will remember the name Mike Sax.
Ok. So just do me a favor folks
1. If you live in the district and are interested let me know. I can use volunteers or even just enthused supporters who can tell all their friends.
You can leave a comment here, tweet/DM me on Twitter-@evilsax-or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. And whether you are or aren’t in the district donate if you can spare a few bucks.
3. Obviously, I understand if you can’t. But just ask you to seriously consider if you really can’t afford $5 or $10 bucks. That’s all it takes.
4. I’ve been straight with you my friends. Some will no doubt tell me I’m a neophyte who needs to go through the proper channels-try being a local something first. But for 25 years the Dems have nominated candidates who came through the proper channels and every time Peter King has won by 20 points, by 30 points, by 40 points.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I think I can tap into the visceral outrage and alarm of the #Resistance in a way that a career politician can’t.
But if you are interested in my campaign please don’t reason, ‘But the local party won’t allow him to win the nomination.’
That’s why you have to donate-again just ask yourself if you honestly can’t spare $5. That will enable me to advertise and do more outreach.
The more publicity I get the more the least line of resistance for the local party will be to just let me have it as I’ve now stirred things up publicly.
There is nothing more important in getting answers to Trump-Russia collusion than a Democratic House in 2019. Please donate to help me in my part of the effort to fight for a Dem House.
Thank you. We must have a Dem House. And so, we will.