#TaxBillScam: a Huge Tax Cut for the Rich is Paid for by a Huge Tax Increase for the Middle Class
Why is Mitch McConnell smiling? Because he just gave a huge tax cut for the rich and is paying for that with a huge tax hike on the middle class.
Today, Republicans in D.C. are celebrating a massive TAX INCREASE on the middle class and a massive TAX CUT for the rich.
And it should end permanently any illusion that the Republicans fight for anyone or anything but corporations, lobbyists, and the wealthy.
— Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson) December 2, 2017
This ‘tax reform’ bill is a fraud in so many ways and on so many levels where do you start? It’s not tax reform it’s a huge tax cut for the rich-it blows a $1.5 trillion dollar hole in the deficit. This is like George W. Bush only a little worse.
But on top of that it also raises taxes drastically on the middle class.
But on top of THAT it also ends the ACA mandate. Those who count on the Senate GOP to be the body of GOP reason are having a rude awakening as they are who passed ending the ACA mandate.
How they learned not to worry and love destroying the healthcare of millions huh?
The Senate GOP also learned not to worry about deficits.
Yesterday was a strange day in that you could argue that it was both the best and worst day in Trump’s Presidency.
All day I had a certain foreboding. Yes that’s great news about Michael Flynn’s plea. It’s pretty clear he is cooperating with Mueller. Based on the charges in his plea-lying to the FBI about conversations with Kisylak-this could give him a few years in prison but this is much better than it could have been with all they have on him.
It’s clear that Flynn is cooperating. And one ‘senior level staffer’ that Flynn revealed in his plea is: Jared Kushner.
No doubt Trump and his flacks are a in a lot of trouble down the road. But at the same time he also had his best day as this terrible, bad, very bad, no good, fake tax reform bill got passed that is really an Obamacare repeal bill by another name.
And unfortunately the terrible Flynn news gave cover to the great news that he got that terrible tax bill passed which causes the most economic pain of any such legislation passed since the Corn Laws.
The GOP was able to impose this by pure stealth and misdirection.
1. Calling it ‘tax reform’ when it was nothing of the sort. In truth it was a huge tax cut for the rich.
2. But, of course, while this was clear it wasn’t surprising. And many perhaps were lulled. Ok the GOP will cut taxes for the rich, of course. But at least Obamacare repeal failed.
3. The GOP House bill was a monstrosity. We expected a huge tax cut for the rich but the House bill also included a huge tax hike for the nonrich. This was new as usually the GOP does a huge tax cut for the rich which implicitly leaves the door for later calls to raise taxes on the poor-preferably by cutting spending.
4. Then the Senate GOP tabled the House bill. Which no doubt made many feel more complacency: ok the Senate will pass a much more reasonable and less draconian bill. Nothing to worry about too much.
5. But the GOP Senate not only left the draconian cuts to SALT in it-the state and local income deductions along with the mortgage interest deduction, the student loan deduction, and the elder care deduction-but it went even further than the House GOP and ended the mandate which essentially is the end of the ACA.
Truly a day that will live in infamy.
I’ve said it before but surely now you won’t doubt me: our healthcare and tax system need a restraining order from the GOP.
We need a Democratic Congress. And if I may say so, we need Mike Sax for NY2 Congress to replace Peter King.
I’m Mike Sax.
P.S. I’m Mike Sax, I’m running for Congress in the NY 2nd District and I’m a Hillary Clinton Democrat.
Meeting her recently was one of the biggest honors in my life to stand next to such a fine public servant and trailblazer. She seemed to like our Impeachment Train campaign t shirts too!
Think of the shirt as a one time investment in restoring legitimacy to this country.
And please donate so we can compete with Peter King’s $4 million. I know no lobbyists or millionaires like Peter King. Small donations are the engine of the Mike Sax NY2 campaign. Together we can do it. Because we must.